Saturday, November 14, 2009

When do you prune Rose of Sharon bushes?

We have over 17 Rose of Sharon bushes on our property. I prune them heavily in the spring before they go into a major growing spurt. After pruning i trim off all the dead seeds pods for a cleaner healther look. This plant doesn't start the growth of flowers till after the leaves have fully formed. I also lightly prune/shape them all summer long to maintain a nice shape to them, and some branches get to heavy with buds/flowers. I don't worry about cutting the flower buds off since they are spread all over the branches and it quickly produces more flowers again. By the time fall reaches the growth slows down and so i stop pruning.





So I suggest pruning in the spring before the leaves are out.

When do you prune Rose of Sharon bushes?
I just wanted you to see my nice red rose!
Reply:Without getting out the text book I would say early spring before they come out of dormancy. This is a late blooming bush so you won't have to worry about losing flowers next year. If it was a early blooming shrub you would prune right after it flowers but its not so........


No comments:

Post a Comment