Monday, November 16, 2009

How can I keep choking vines in my Forsythia's and Rose of Sharon? I call them Chinese choke weeds but . . .

I really don't know what they are. They wind themselves through all my shrubs and bushes and choke the life out of my plants. I've tried digging them out but they always seem to come back. I think the root system travels under ground to spread. Does anyone else have this problem? My lilac's are looking a little haggard these days because of them.

How can I keep choking vines in my Forsythia's and Rose of Sharon? I call them Chinese choke weeds but . . .
It is probably "bind weed" and it is very difficult to completely remove from the garden. The best thing is to try %26amp; pull out by the roots. If you just pull out the part that is winding around your shrubs it may even encourage it's growth, it will consider it a "pruning". You could probably try round up or vinegar at the point where the weed comes out of the ground, but I am not sure that will even work. I put carpet %26amp; black (tar) paper down as a weed block and it grew right through both.


No comments:

Post a Comment