Saturday, November 14, 2009

My rose of sharon tree has not budded (04/24). Is this normal?

Are you fertilizing?? Is shrub getting enough sun? My Rose of Sharon is all budded up also and so far only a very few blooms. Same last year. I am going to transplant to a sunnier area and fertilize. Did not realize until I read entries in this forum that Rose of Sharon needs to be on a regular fertilizer schedule!!


The bud drop could be caused by gall midge. Place some buds in a sealable plastic bag. After a day or two, you may see the very small yellowish worm-like larva on the plastic. Control the midge affecting buds with Orthene sprays as needed. Hope this helps.

My rose of sharon tree has not budded (04/24). Is this normal?
I am in Plant Zone 5A and mine doesn't usually start to do anything until around May 24. We can get frost up until then. My Hardy hibiscus is the same way. It gets started later but then it really takes of.
Reply:Hibiscus, in general, are very, very slow to break dormancy. Don't worry about your Rose of Sharon....if you still need some piece of mind, scratch the bark with your fingernail. If it's green, it's still alive.





As just an aside, don't worry at all about your perennial Hibiscus. they are even slower to break dormancy. I leave part of the stalk from last year so I know where it is, but by the end of May they all come back.


No comments:

Post a Comment