Thursday, November 12, 2009

Whats the best way to get Rose of Sharon seedlings out of lawn?

I have a neighbour with 2 Rose of Sharon trees next to the fence that we share. My neighbour never prunes the trees to remove the seed pods...so, of course, come spring, I have thousands growing in my lawn. I have tried Round Up, and Killex. Last year I sat down for 8 hours straight and picked them out of my lawn...only removing about 25% of them. (My husband says we should kill the trees!!!!) Any other suggestions?

Whats the best way to get Rose of Sharon seedlings out of lawn?
Legally you can prune back on your side of the fence and remove the seed pods before they fall this fall.





But for right now water the area the seedlings are in, really super soak them until the ground is mushy. Then with a grocery bag on one arm go out and pull each one easily out. I've harvested many Rose of Sharons from my neighbor's yard to give away as gifts to friends and donate to the church for decorations.
Reply:Yikes, I don't envy you that job! The only thing I can think of is maybe putting in some kind of rock garden in that area with a good layer of gravel so that the seedlings can't get a start. Or maybe just lay down some tarp under the tree at night and collect seed that way as it falls. It would at least help you get ahead of the problem. Other than that, probably the most effective thing you could do would be to talk to your neighbor. Ask them to pick the seed pods off the tree and maybe volunteer to help. Or knock off the wilted buds before seed production can begin. Tell him/her they could sell the seeds and make some money? Goodluck with whatever you decide!


No comments:

Post a Comment