Sunday, April 26, 2009

Starting Rose Of Sharon From Seeds?

I have a beautiful Rose Of Sharon next to my house. I tied the small trunks together to make a topiary out of it when it was given to me by my neighboor years ago. It's grown at least 8 feet now and is beautiful when in bloom. I have started a seedling to see if I'd have any luck growing them and its about 4 inches high now with 2 leaves. I'd like to start more and am needing some advice on how to care for them and how fast will they grow per year, etc. I'd like to grow them and plant them in my back yard; also would like to form more topiaries out of them and grow them to sell in our town garden sale each spring in the near future, or plant them around my home town. Thanks......

Starting Rose Of Sharon From Seeds?
Dr Michael Dirr states in his Manual of Woody Landscape Plants that the seeds of Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus, require no special treatment. I have personally seen them coming up around the mother plant like weeds. They can also be started true-to-form, from cuttings, for the especially lovely cultivars like Blue Bird, Red Heart, and Minerva, An idea for your plant sale might be to plant three different colors in one pot, and then train and weave the strongest canes together like Ficus benjaminas into a single standard form. The head of your Rose-of-Sharon tree would eventually bear all three color blooms simultaneously.
Reply:I put pots of soil under my Rose of Sharon when it starts dropping its blooms and the next years I have baby Rose of Sharon trees already in the pots


No comments:

Post a Comment