Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rose of sharon hedge in Wisconsin.?

I am a beginner gardener, so let me put that out there first. I want to plant Rose of Sharon Hedges along the street out here. But online it says it is hardy in zones 5-8, I live in zone 4. Does anyone think it would still grow? Or should I look for a different hedge. Like I said beginner. Anyone with any information would be helpful, thanks.

Rose of sharon hedge in Wisconsin.?
Don't plant any shrub that isn't hardy in your climate. Even marginally hardy. Find something tough and reliable for where you live. It's bad enough to lose perennial plants that you hoped you could baby through, but with a hedge you are dealing with all kinds of misery. For one thing shrubs are more expensive, for another if some die and others squeak by you will have gaps that will then need to be filled with different plants, probably of a different size. There are many pretty shrubs that will laugh at our winters so why not find one of those?
Reply:It probably won't make it through your winters. Go to a nursery or L%26amp;G Center in your area and they will have plants for your zone to choose from.


No comments:

Post a Comment